Thursday, 27 March 2014

Research and Planning: Naming The Magazine

While researching music magazines that stand out to me, I couldn't help but notice the names of the magazines and the companies were mostly selected in to sort of a same semantic field. An example of this is that some of the magazines have three letters within their names. 'NME' is one of the more popular kind of magazine names which contains no more than three letters. On the other hand their is magazines which is an actual word, and not just three words shortened down in to their initials. The main one I noticed is the name 'Kerrang'. To me, I believe that the full words look more attractive than the initials. This is because they take up more room along the header of the page. This is an advantage because more effects can be used to make the title stand out a lot more.

As well as this, from what I have seen from the 'NME' magazines, the title doesn't look anything special as it looks too short. It also isn't as catchy as what it should probably be. Where as longer titles enable more effects to be used, and looks really catchy.

The reason why I decided to call the magazine 'TrendLines' is because I wanted to relate the title to a popular song in order to make it catchy to the audience. After naming it TrendLines, it is pretty obvious that it takes after the recent chart topper Blurred Lines. I believe that the name of the magazine also matches what some of the magazine is about. This is because part of the magazine is to do with the charts and the latest trends. This can relate to the title of my magazine. This explains one of the main reasons why I chose the title. I also wanted to be slightly different to some of the more professional magazines when referring back to the name of my magazine.

Due to the name of the magazine slightly being taken from a very popular song, it is obvious that I want the audience to be attracted to the magazine. It also shows the genre of the magazine within the title. This is because the song 'Blurred Lines' is related to the charts and pop music. However this is one of few genres within the magazine. I am planning to use indie bands which are made up as well. This will make the magazine a little more interesting as indie music is getting more and more mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment